Sunday, November 4, 2012

This isn't About Me

    People all around me are turning in their mission papers. So cool, so cool, right? Yes, yes it should be, but once again that dumb voice in the back of my head. I can't help but be a tiny bit jealous that they're getting their calls already and I'm still pre-mission status. Don't get me wrong I'm super happy for them missions are great. I just really want to go right now, too! And as usual the Lord has read my thoughts and my heart and has an answer for me. I'm being selfish. Pretty much that's it. In the press conference after the announcement during Conference Elder Holland said that it is important to remember that this work isn't about us. It's about spreading the gospel and doing the work the Savior would have us do. Tonight during my scripture readings I found a section that fits my situation quite nicely. 
   I'm currently reading in the Doctrine and Covenants. Tonight I read section 11. In section 11 the Lord is talking to Hyrum Smith. Hyrum has inquired of the Lord regarding serving a mission. The Lord tells him in verse 15 "Behold, I command you that you need not suppose that you are called to preach until you are called." Hyrum may want to go, which later the Lord says is a righteous desire, but it isn't his time yet. I think that is the same for me. I may want to go right now, but it isn't time yet. In 16 it says "Wait a little longer, until you shall have my word, my rock, my church, and my gospel, that you may know of a surety my doctrine." The end of 19 says "...be patient until you shall accomplish it." Hyrum needed to more fully learn and understand the gospel. How can you teach it if you don't fully understand if yourself? Hyrum and I have something in common. I had to wait almost two years before I could turn my papers in. I'm so thankful for that. I would not be anywhere as prepared as I am now if I didn't have those two years of preparation. This last year with mission prep and studying the scriptures the way I have has brought me closer to the gospel than I've ever been. 
 D&C 11:21 "Seek not to declare my word but first seek to obtain  my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men. You can't teach the gospel unless you have it. Only then will you have His spirit to be with you to help and guide you. My favorite thing He tells Hyrum is in verse 26 & 27, "Therefore, treasure up in your heart until the time which is in my wisdom that you shall go forth. Behold I speak unto all who have good desires, and have thrust in their sickle to reap." It isn't time for me to serve yet and I shouldn't be spending my pre-mission time wishing I was on a mission. Life goes by quickly. The way things won't last forever. Instead of wishing for time to go by quicker I need to appreciate the present and live in it. I should treasure that time. I also like how He says that this guidance isn't just for Hyrum. It is for everyone who wants to go on a mission and spread the gospel. The scriptures aren't just for the Nephites or the Lamanites there for us now. Treasure them and let them guide you.

No comments:

Post a Comment