Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Call.

    Just a warning this is going to be a pretty long one. I opened my mission call today! I'm going to serve in the Atlanta Georgia North mission and will be leaving March 6th! It still doesn't feel real typing that. It's so crazy and exciting. Honestly though it hasn't really hit me yet that it is all real. I mean for the last two years I have been waiting for this moment. Waiting to get my call and finally know where I would be serving. I have to admit that after reading where I was going I was a little scared and sad inside. Not because of where I was going, but because that part is all over. Now it's time to really get ready to leave. But that only lasted for a minute I am now completely taken over by excitement!!! It's really happening I know where and when I'm going...so crazy!
   Man there is nothing that comes close to opening a mission call. I can't even describe the feeling. I have never shaken that badly in my life. Cade missed that part on the video, but if you don't believe me just ask Jacob he got quite the kick out of it. I had planned on reading it slowly for dramatic effect...that did not work out. Once I opened it I could barely keep it together so I had no choice but to read it as fast as I possibly could. The emotions that you feel as you read that letter are so crazy! I have never been that close to crying without actually crying. It was literally like the time I cried about pickles times 10! Hayley and Chaia will tell you that is quite intense.
   I had always known that I wasn't going to leave the United States and honestly I wasn't disappointed with Georgia at all. I know I wanted to go to a Church history mission, but as soon as I read where I was going I knew that was the place I was supposed to go to. Georgia needs me and I need Georgia....plus my accent is going to be sick. I have been to the South before and I love it down there. Football, farms, great food what's not to like! If I get a couple of rocks, Bibles or alligators thrown at me whatev. I know that this is from God. He has a plan for me and serving in Georgia is a part of that plan. There are just so many little details about this call that let me know that this is where I'm supposed to be. I know that without a doubt. It may not be Paris or Florence, but it is where I will do the best work for my Savior.
   I also know that it doesn't end her. Just because I have my call doesn't mean I get to take a break from getting ready. I need to prepare even harder and work even harder so the spirit will stay with me. As soon as I put that letter down and I had a minute to myself it wasn't just the peace from the spirit I could feel. Satan and his mind games were at work almost immediately. But I was ready. If you keep the commandments read the scriptures and know why you're doing what you're doing no matter how scary or crazy things get he can't win. The Spirit is with you and will help you come out on top every time. That's right the spirit will help me even when the giant water bugs of Georgia are flying at my face...
     There is one very important lesson I learned from opening my call today that I hadn't planned on. I mean I knew that the spirit would strengthen me, that this was His plan for me, and that Satan is a tricky little man, but I hadn't planned on something else. I didn't realize how much it would mean to me to have my friends and family there. There wasn't a huge crowd of twenty people and I forgot to take pictures, but they were there. My parents were both right there with me even though I know it's killing them inside that I'm leaving for so long. They've always supported me in the things I've chosen to do and they haven't stopped. Kyle and Cade the crazy dynamic duo were there cracking jokes and documenting the whole thing. What would opening my call me like without their background noise? My aunts and cousins were on the computer dropping everything just so they could watch me open an envelope. And I know that no matter where I got called they would be excited for me and help me in any way that I need it. I didn't have a crowd of friends, but the ones that mattered where there. Whether it was in person or brady bunch style on my lap top they were there. They dropped their Saturday plans to show me that they cared and it meant a lot. It helped me to remember and see that after 18 months their will be people at home who care about me.
    Missions are great. Being a missionary is great. Being Sister Davie who is going to serve in Atlanta Georgia is great. Life is great. The Church is great. You're great. Yes I'm talking to you my four followers who read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment