Sunday, December 30, 2012

Deep Thought from the End-zone

   My last football blog has inspired more football thoughts of the deepest kind. Also this particular post makes me happy at the moment because the name of the font I am using is called Georgia. Ha I love Georgia and all things Georgia related. Anyway back to my thoughts of epic deepness that concern football. Oh wait one more thing before the deepness, you know this is going to be a great thought because the title is so good. Honestly it's probably the best title I've ever come up with. Anyway to the end-zone...
    I have been watching football all day and I am not complaining. As I was watching football I remembered something my mission prep teacher taught me. In our first few lessons he kept trying to teach us and show us how to take a random topic and relate it back to the gospel. So I decided I should try and relate football back to the gospel. It could come in handy later. I have heard that the people of the south love football almost as much as I do. So here goes my attempt...
    There are several lessons I have learned from football...the first comes from watching quarterbacks. There are the quarterbacks you handle pressure in the pocket and can duck, jump, and doge their way out of almost any situation. Then there are those who see the pocket crumble and take the the sack. I don't think it is the skills of these players that make them so different. Both quarterbacks are good, elite athletes. If they weren't good they wouldn't be playing at that level. I think the difference in the way they play and the success they have deals with heart. One bad play, one sack, and they can't fall apart. They must refuse to give up and keep on throwing keep on trying for that W on their record. Play after play a successful quarterback doesn't give up and keeps trying. Successful missionaries and church members should work in a similar way. No matter how futile the play or situation feels we can not give up. It may at times seem like what we are called to do or the area we are called to work on is futile. But we must keep trying. If we listen to our coach (the Savior) and heed his guidance and use his plays we will get that win. Alone we can't do it, but if we listen to our coach and use our teammates we can be successful.
  Lesson number two: play for the name on the front of your jersey. I notice more in college football than the NFL that there are players that play for themselves. (cough cough T.O.) These players may be great and talented, but they can't win a football game on their own. It is the players that play for their school, for their coach that win games and win championships. They forget themselves and their own personal glory and try and bring glory to the team. We need to be the same way. We need to forget that name on the back of our jerseys and realize we are part of a bigger picture. We aren't just fighting for our own salvation, but we are fighting to spread the gospel and save others. We aren't playing for ourselves we are playing for our Savior's gospel we are on his team. It is only when we forget ourselves and get to work that things get done.
   Lesson number three (the last one for now because there is a giant penguin picture that I must color) (yes I am 20 years old and love to color in giant coloring books). Comebacks are real. All the time in football teams come out of nowhere to pull off the upset and the win. All of the sudden the team starts to click and can do no wrong. They can come back from a humiliating half or even pull it out in the fourth quarter. Don't believe me google Eli Manning. This is the same as the battle we are fighting against evil. At times it may seem like we are fighting a losing battle. That our church and our gospel isn't spreading like it should. That the world is just too evil. But the fourth quarter hasn't hit yet. We are on the winning team and He is saving His best players for the final drive. His strongest players are coming off the sidelines and going out to spread the gospel and get a touchdown. We are those players. We may be pulled later and get tired quickly, but there is a play that only we can do. A run or pass that we need to catch. Our time is coming the coach is getting ready to put us in. It up to us now to practice to go over the skills we are going to need. Our time is coming and it's up to us to be ready to play for our team and help with the winning drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment