Friday, January 4, 2013

Butterflies

   Good news everyone! The last drip of the leaky faucet just landed...here it is. Tonight I thought that I would embrace Rigby and seek out old friends from high school. If you think it's weird hanging with old friend after one semester of college try hanging with them after three...whole new level of weird. It was awkward at first, as expected, but it turned out to be pretty fun. They were my friends at one point, right? Right. 
  Even though I enjoyed my time with them I realized something. When I was with them we did exactly what we did in high school and I couldn't help but think wow, this was my life! And talking about what we talked about I was just like wow...who was I?!?!?! 
  At first I thought that I must have been crazy in high school and that I am so much better the way I am now. Then I realized that there is no reason I can't be proud of the person I was in high school and proud of who I am today. I mean it is still me. I have changed a lot I'm not saying I haven't, but that doesn't mean that there were lots of serious problems with the person I used to be. 
  There isn't anything wrong with changing. It is going to happen, it should happen. It is a good thing to grow and learn and no longer be happy with things that once made you so happy. Isn't that what growing up is all about? Think about this. What if we stayed the exact same as we were when we were thirteen...forever? I don't think I would really enjoy it. Yeah I had fun when I was thirteen, but I got over it and enjoy the way things are now. When I was younger I wrote this paper about butterflies...I think it applies. We are like butterflies. We start out as caterpillars. We live life and grow fat on experiences and trials and then one day we wrap ourselves up in our little cocoon. While in our cocoon we become content with the way things are and don't want to change, or leave the cocoon. Then one day we decide to try. We leave the cocoon and spread our wings....we fly. Change makes us grow. It gives us the chance to discover the beauty of our wings and take on the world. And one day we are going to discover the world is so better from the sky and forget how we ever enjoyed it wrapped up in our little cocoon. That's what our mission is. Things are going to change while we are gone and we are going to change so much. It is just an opportunity to test out our wings and change for the better. We need to embrace the change that is going to happen. It really will be for the better. And just because we are changing doesn't mean we have to forget our past it simply means we need to enjoy the present and appreciate the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment