Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Gospel is...


   Have you ever had someone ask you to say what you think the gospel is in one word? No? Well I'm asking you right now. Think about it. Ponder your answer. Sing about it to someone. Kidding. But it would be pretty great if you did. This is kind of a tough question. There are just so many answers that work and would be great. It really is quite tricky. But to me (my answer will probably be different than yours) the gospel is happy.
   Think about. Honestly what about this gospel isn't something that brings joy. One key to this Church is the idea of service. It can be hard to get into and sometimes we just don't want to do it. But what happens when we do? Not only are we bringing joy into the life of others, but it brightens our day as well. There is a certain kind of happiness that comes when you're serving others that you can't find anywhere else. 
  One of life's biggest questions is what happens after this? Is this the end? Is it really death do us part? One of the happiest doctrines I think is the fact that we have eternal life. The fact that we can be sealed to our families for all time. Isn't that so great? Stop. Imagine for a minute what your life would be like without that knowledge? What would be missing? Happiness. I know everyday I am thankful for the fact that no matter what happens I will literally always have my family.
  With this gospel is happiness idea I realize that we're still going to have trials, it's a part of the plan. But think about this. What brings us back to being happy after some of the worst experiences a person can have? The gospel. It is through repentance, the atonement, feeling the sweet Spirit, and knowing that our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ love us that guides back to happiness. Without this gospel it isn't really possible.
   I know that I find happiness in the knowledge that I am not alone and that my Savior knows me and loves him. I am a divine daughter of God. And yes I may grow old alone with my giraffe farm, but He loves me and that's all that matters. So many people don't know that and live their lives thinking that they are utterly alone. How sad. I know that this knowledge has helped me get through so much and can't imagine my life without it. 
  I know that the world is full of people who don't have the gospel and who think that there is nothing wrong with the lives they are living. But if you get them to stop and really think about it they know deep down that something is missing. They tried to fill it with partying, drinking, drugs, too many girls or guys, and all kinds of things but they don't ever really fill it. It is especially obvious to them when they hang around people like us. They see how happy we are with all the little things and they honestly don't understand. To them we are a peculiar people. And that we may be, but we have a kind of happiness, a kind of joy that can't be found anywhere else.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment