Friday, January 4, 2013

Can We Fix It?

   Deep thought number two! (I warned you!!!) Before I get into my thought I just wanted you all to know I am writing while sitting in the top bunk of a bunk bed...be jealous. Also I wore a skirt all day today to help ease me into the fact that I will be wearing a skirt every day 18 months.... It was very cold thank goodness I am going to Georgia and not anywhere in Idaho! And Idaho wind and skirts definitely don't mix well. Anyway back to my reason for posting...onward ho!
   I have a little habit...I love to fix people. I like to go out of my way to find those who are struggling or alone and do all that I can to help them. Most of the time this simply means being their friend and being there for them when they need it. It has been so awesome over the years watching these people grown and become excellent. There was a time when I refused to believe that it was impossible to fix someone. I thought that through love, patience, and by example you could inspire anyone to change the way they are. Sadly I have learned that this isn't always the case. I can't have someone do something or act differently for me. They aren't really changing that way. They are simply trying to make me happy instead of doing it for themselves. I have also come to realize that them deciding to do it for themselves is the make or break it element. If they don't want to they won't. Sometimes they aren't going to desire the same things you want for them. And it isn't your fault. There wasn't anything you could have done differently. Sometimes you have to let them make their own choices and pray that one day they will come around.
   I know that when we are on our missions we will encounter people like this. There will be investigators or simply people that you meet that you want to accept the gospel so badly. But they don't want it or they aren't quite ready yet. I think this feeling of disappointment and sadness will be one of the hardest parts of our mission. We can't let that get us down though. One day given the right time and circumstances they will come to know for themselves. We can't force it on them. All we can do is love them and let them know that no matter what they chose we will be there for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment